Tuesday, January 31, 2012

sneaking in learning

We had a morning out, so we are having a late start today. We davened right before lunch and then I put 2yo for a nap and wrote down our schedule of school things. Knowing that I have to pick up my oldest at 3:30, I only wrote 5 activities and decided to skip math for today. Natanel choose to do reading first. Reading for us means that I read a book to him and then he reads to me. He's still quite reluctant to read and prefers readers, but without girls in them. (A whole separate story, as most readers seem to be geared towards girls.) Today's reader was Get That Pest! It's about a farmer and his wife trying to catch a wolf stealing eggs from their barn. At the end of the story there is a recommendation to play Egg Thief. You cut out six eggs and take turns being wolf and farmer, with wolf removing some eggs while the farmer is not watching and the farmer trying to guess how many eggs were removed. Natanel asked to do that game. I drew the eggs for him and he cut them out. Just this part was a struggle at the beginning of the year, but that's for another post.

We played a bunch of times and I observed with satisfaction that he had no problem making addends to six. Next, however, came the cool part. He requested more eggs; he wanted to play with ten. He brought another piece of paper and I asked him how many more I have to draw. He said: four. I drew them and he cut them out. We played with ten, which was harder for him.

As I mentioned in the beginning, I wasn't even planning on doing math today and there it was, snuck in, with additional challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment